Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Riding the Airwaves.

Well today was interesting. We had a nice talk about data protection, and as far as I can see writing this mean's I'm safe, as long as I don't implicate patients. That means by any names, photos or identifiable traits. Which is fine, I have been trickling along this course so far with a niggle at the back of my mind asking, "are you sure blogging about this is a good idea?". Well I'm now pleased to say that niggle has turned a few notches down, but I'm still aware of it..

Next on to the most important form ever, the infamous Patient Referral Form (LA4 in LAS-speak)*. This huge A3 piece of paper for reporting everything about a job seems comprehensive, although a right b!tch to fill out. I suppose with time writing it will become easier, at least I hope so. Alas, it is a very important piece of paper I need to know how to fill it in properly to report things, both to help the patient and cover my own ass. Sometimes I dislike the blame culture we continue to perpetuate.

Finally on to the radio. We are lucky enough on our course to have an EMD 4, so he obviously knows how to play the radio game. He, in conjunction with a training officer from the north, mapped out all the key phrases and operation techniques about RT techniques, so we were in good hands. After an hour or two playing about with the EMD as "control", and sending fake jobs down the radio I felt much more confident in its usage. I love that LAS radio terminology for "dead" (we can't certify death) is purple, or purple plus for really dead, although purple for the Met's Diplomatic Protection Group and Airport Police means a royal passenger, I suspect you can all imagine potential mix ups that might occur...
(I'm very sure that Nee Naw has touched on this)
Altogether now:

Charlie
Alpha
Romeo
Mike
Echo
Lima
Oscar!

*So much LAS terminology is seeping into my vocabulary at the moment I may have to do a reference page..

1 Comments:

  • At 7:13 pm, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    Lol, prfs are god awful things, but as you said it covers your own back if nothing else. Enjoying the radios? It's a good skill to have, talking clearly on a radio. You'd be amazed at how many people can't, lol.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger