Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Monday, October 02, 2006

1 of 5: Merys isn't the only one with a Stethoscope...


Carmelo's back baby yeah!

I have just returned from my first day in the world of ambulances, and I've been lumbered with more paperwork and books than I suspect most libraries contain....

But, I'm not complaining. I enjoyed it.

When we first walked in, I took the very mature approach of sitting by myself at the front of the room. I'm very aware of the side of me that can become easily distracted, so I did my best to hide it as the rest of the guys seem to distract me somewhat, much as I try to hide it. See, reflection in action. Realising faults and trying to correct them. Maybe I am growing up?

Anyway. So we sat through the usual things that happen on the first day, introductions to the course and ice breaking activities. I was also issued with the following:

  • The above stethoscope. (Doubt I'll use it much in the coming months)
  • A pen-torch.
  • TufCut Paramedic Shears.
  • Blanket Clips (?)

We were also given a talk by our training officer about Health & Safety, I was very impressed as I had never seen anybody talk about a subject I had considered quite boring with such passion and interest. Well done that man. So I've sat quietly all day, and also have been quietly trying to control quite an urge of the ol' "ambulance fever", the centre I'm at is stuffed with them.

Its hard not to go into childish giggles about it all, I'm very sure most LAS crews would shoot me on site for being so "into" it.

Alas, do I care? Nope. I'm me, I can't change that so I might as well enjoy it. Speak to you tomorrow.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:41 pm, Blogger Slack said…

    Congrats on getting started. I have been at the EMT thing for three years now and I am still "silly excited" about it.

     
  • At 8:24 pm, Blogger Merys said…

    Damn you, i paid £60 for my littmann and I've only used it once so far (on my parents admittedly).

    On the plus side, I also have tuffcut shears and they make me smile too

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger