Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

The hindrances of Modern Technology.

You know occasionally when you do something so stupid you could hurt yourself? Guess what I did...


..This is a "self-scan" checkout. At our local superstore they've been installed for quite some time, and I've been using them fine. Until last night. I was about to pay for our goods using my Debit Card, fumbled and the stupid card feel into the machine!!! The next 15 minutes involved myself and the attendant attempting to dismantle the machine while the Missus stood there looking embarrassed. Did we find it? Of course not.

So off we went to customer services to leave my name and number, and we hear a shriek of excitement. The attendant comes running over waving a card in her hand, I'm thinking "GREAT!".

I then look at the card and realise that its an American Express Credit Card. Not mine. I sighed. And sighed again. Then proceeded to phone the bank, and have the card cancelled while a new one is sent to the bank near my University.

On Friday.

Looks like I'll be writing myself a few checks. I am living by the motto it could have been worse, and at least my money's safe. Also the fact that some other poor sap has obviously dropped their's into the machine too makes me feel slightly better.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:17 pm, Blogger Lashes said…

    I'm not to keen on the self-service machines. I used one once and the total was something like £2.58 so I put a £10 note in the little slot and stood waiting for my change. I got the smaller change but couldn't find the £5 note anywhere, so I went to the desk and started arguing about how the machine had stole my money and when we went back I was politely shown the little slot at the bottom which held my £5 note. I made a swift exit!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger