Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What a City.

Great day. We drove through central London yesterday (well Dad did), in order to have a look at some rooms. On the way we stopped off at Wembley to find my driving school for my Lorry test, now I can find my way there on my own. Next we went to room number 1, or magnolia box:
















Fridge is good. Cupboard to the left behind the camera. It was neat, clean with laminate flooring and felt like a display in MFI. I didn't like it.
Well, we had a couple of hours to kill, so we went to St. Georges, so Dad could talk to the accommodations people. What a difference. The "manager" was there, a very helpful man. I explained to him that my course starts a full month earlier than the doctors, and that my place on it wasn't dependent on grades. He seemed to sympathise, nudges and winks were exchanged. I'll follow that up today. So after this we went to look at the Halls, or what's left of them. Out of 4 blocks, only 2 are left standing as there is a refurbishment programe going on. When we went inside the Halls we realised why. A lovely man called Mohammed guided us round, the rooms were basic but big, and there was free Internet access and printing facilities, a definite boon. The best bit was the entrance to the bathroom, the door was so tiny! We all had a good giggle about Dad trying to squeeze through the tiny doorway. The place was old, but had a good vibe and free parking. I want to live with students.

Lastly we went to a flat really close to St. Georges. We were guided round by a nice Aussie guy, a builder. The place was, to be honest, a bit of a dump. It smelt, was messy, but people lived there. I like "homes" as opposed to "houses". However the place didn't have the net, and the room was tiny.
















After looking at these rooms, it hit me how alone I'm going to be. At least in Halls I would be with others who share a mutual interest in something medical, but more importantly are closer to my age. I'll smuggle myself into the Halls.

Now, back to the title. Driving through London is the best way to see it, as you move so slowly (snigger). The place is so alive, so vibrant and varied. Its bonkers too, people drive like maniacs, but I think I'll fit in just fine when I move.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:02 pm, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    Yeah, halls is always best. Well you do get woken up at 3am because some drunken eejit of a student has decided in their drunken wisdom to set off the fire alarm so you end up spending hours outside in the rain when you have to be at lectures for 9am, or drunken people play knock and run, or have screaming arguments that wake the whole block up and food gets stolen. But apart from that, hehe. Seriously though halls are the best place to be in the first year, you meet so many people, most of the people I lived with in the two years afterwards were on my floor in halls. I'd say do whatever you can to get in there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger