Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stereotypes.

You don't tend to question these until they turn up in your shop, shouting at the top of their voice.
This morning, a black guy came in with his friends. Did the usual, bought food, sat down. I was in the back of the shop, as was my colleague. We have a monitor in the back hooked up to the CCTV system, which allows us to keep an eye on things, as I happened to look up I saw one of his white friends acting suspiciously. I sent my colleague out to check what was going on, and swiftly followed him out when a shouting match erupted. My colleague had accused the black guy of stealing a packet of crisps while he was closing the shop another night, and trying to do the same thing now. Of course the guy had reacted badly to this. Needless to say both were being rude, but I had no wish to get into something that wasn't my fight, but I did want to end it. I told my colleague to go into the back, while I stay on the front. Here I began talking to the guy, being very careful to make my voice as neutral as possible.

"Why are you getting so worked up over a 40p packet of crisps? Do you really think its worth all this trouble?"

"I don't care bruv, I just don't like being accused."

"Too true. In the end I'm not really bothered whether you did or you didn't steal them, for such a small thing I really don't think its worth all this bother."

To which my colleague interjected:

"It doesn't matter, he shouldn't be stealing"

He replied:

"I can't believe this bruv, you see black skin and curly hair and you think I did it? Why didn't you accuse him or him? (both white friends)"

Now that made me stop and think. While those two argued on about CCTV tapes and the Police, I began to question myself. I can honestly say that I couldn't give a rat's arse what colour the skin is, but, I found myself siding with the black guy for some reason. I mean, he fitted into my "ideal" stereotype of a person who would perpetrate such a crime, loud and cocky, but his race argument really struck a chord with me.
In my town, the vast majority of the populace are white working/middle class. This provides a stark comparison to the nearby towns which have a much more diverse make up, which I think helps to bring various people together, I don't really feel I was raised in an ethically diverse environment.
So, in my head a war going on. On one side we have the common stereotype that makes me feel distinctly uncomfortable, yet on the other is a mad machine of Political Correctness, desperate to promote the minority race's over the majority one's, which makes me equally uncomfortable. I think I'm in the middle somewhere.
I try to treat people exactly the same, regardless of situation/context/ethnicity/disability, sometimes though, I feel my self giving the benefit of the doubt to the minority member, even if the evidence points to someone else. Which isn't treating people equally at all, its more of a "support the apparent underdog" complex, which is just as bad.

Headache. Simple solution. I shall become a hermit, no human interactions at all. Simple.

Must also say well done to Mr Jensen Button, the first British F1 win in ages!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:16 pm, Blogger Merys said…

    I find myself being very judgemental to chavs, small kids without parents and skinheads. It's nothing personal, but I tend to watch them like a hawk on the CCTV due to past problems.

    On the plus side, the GP was good!

     
  • At 12:53 pm, Blogger Defibrilator said…

    40 pence? not worth getting hurt over - IMHO.

    Whilst on a mental health prac for nursing I happened on a situation. A 'customer' wanted to borrow 50 cents from the shop in order to make a phone call. Of course the shop didn't want anything to do with it. So a huge argument ensued. The shop staff wanted to call the police. The guy asked me if he could "borrow" 50 cents. Whilst I was a poverty stricken student (I am not exagerating - times were tough) I said "sure mate. Anything to help".

    FFS call the cops over 50 cents? Had they just given him 50 cents it wouldn't have degenerated into a shouting match. As soon as I gave him the money he calmed down. But I ask you.... who had the mental illness? the guy willing to cause trouble or the people wanting to call the police? 50 lousy cents?


    Keep up the awsome blog dude. I'm loving it

    Defib :-P

     
  • At 10:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'd agree with the 40p not worth getting hurt over statement, however, i wouldnt agree with the whole "its only 40p" idea. yes, it is only 40p, but its stealing, its the principle of it all, and how no he shouldnt have been stealing at all. where do you draw the line?? oh its only 50p, £1, £2, £5, £50, £100??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger