Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Carmelo the Giant Pansy.

Watching that programme with Gordon Ramsey on Channel 4 tonight. Not to say I was shocked, just shaken.
I don't often use my vegetarian roots as a soap box to shout down moral judgement on the carnivores in this world, so I won't start now. I will however express just how nasty it was to see the eel die. Thinking about this, the career I will be pursing will involve a fair amount of claret, so I suppose I'll just have to deal with it. When I deal with gore in real life, i.e. dissecting hearts/kidneys/livers etc, I don't get squeamish at all. In fact, truth be told I get a little hungry, despite the nasty smell of offal. I think its my inner-carnivore desperately trying to escape.
I have no problems touching meat, yet I couldn't quite place why I was so ruffled by this particular incident. The chef just beheaded the thing, right there!
Maybe it wasn't the actual act, but the brutality behind it. I'm quite a gentle creature, a trait which gives equally as many problems as it does benefits I'm afraid. I think empathy is the main problem...

Although, Salami looks really tasty, as does sushi. I enjoy discussing with the Missus what would be the first meat I would try, so far I have ruled out anything avian, bovine or porcine. That leaves fish, but as the title states, I'm far too much of a pansy to try it.
On the way back from the airport exercise, I killed a rabbit who ran out in the road. I was so upset, I felt like a murderer!
If it takes an accidental death on my hands for me to feel I have turned around and spat on my values, I worry a little bit what I'm going to be like dealing with it on a daily basis.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:55 pm, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    I'm as carnivorous as they come, yet maybe I'm a little bit of a wimp when it comes to eating meat. I adore the taste of the stuff but I know I couldn't go into a restaurant and pick a fish from a tank to eat, I'd feel really bad. Silly I know.

    You'll be fine to be honest, everyone feels bad when they run over something. To be honest I'd worry if you didn't.

     
  • At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    what about when he ate the heart...which was still beating!! omg, just gross!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger