Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Late Night Working and What a Nice Lady!

Having just finished a close shift at work, I took a photo of myself at about 11:45:












Three things of note here:
  • 1) How awful I look at night
  • 2) I look surprisingly Chav-ish..if such a word exists.
  • 3) Do I have a big nose, or is it just me?

If I look this bad doing a 6 hour night shift, I shudder to think how I shall cope doing 12 hour ones. However, I can't wait to find out.

So today I have been doing some ringing around, to try and get money to fund my endeavors. First I phoned the NHS bursaries agency, and was told in no un-certain terms that they did not help out Paramedic Students. It says on the website that the course has to be NHS approved, I asked myself "since when was LAS not part of the NHS?!"

Next port of call was the Local Education Authority (LEA), who deal out the loans to students in their area. I was told I can apply for a loan, which is what I shall be doing tomorrow. Great a day of huge forms!

Finally I rang St. Georges to sort out somewhere for me to live. What a nice lady. She was very helpful, genuinely knew what she was talking about, and said how it can and has been beneficial to Paramedic students to live with other Health workers. It allows people to see the "other side" of health care a bit. Personally I love the idea of studying in a medical institution, being able to bounce ideas of other people who know what they're talking about seems like a good idea. Anyway, she said she shall get back to me within the week and tell about more specific arrangements. She also said how there aren't many Paramedic students about, so the accommodation office tends not to deal with them too often. This made me feel, well, special. Its nice to know that if you persevere with what you want you get it.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:10 am, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    I understand what you mean about NHS bursaries and things. With me wanting to do a second degree in Pharmacy I am apparently eligible for no help whatsoever and I'm led to believe that includes another student loan as pharmacy is not (in their words) a "professional course". Well you have to do a pharmacy degree to become a pharmacist and cannot become one any other way, so why its not considered to be a professional course is beyond me. Heh, sorry a bit of a rant there.

    Student loans are a god-send really (if you can get them). I'm gathering it's your first time at University too so you'll be able to get a tuition fees loan too, so no worrying about those grand tuition fees until your finished with the course.

     
  • At 9:46 am, Blogger Carmelo said…

    No worries about tution fees, LAS pays those for me :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger