Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Licking Ambulances.

Ok, hands up, I lied. This post isn't full of exclamation marks and the youthful exuberance I was hoping to fill it with, as that bloody letter still hasn't come. Yet.
On to more interesting things ( context sensitive)
Today at work, I saw somebody I really did not expect to.

I'll give a bit of back detail:
When I was 15, I did my work experience with the local ambulance service. This involved a week trotting about the local area in various smelly, old and dilapidated Patient Transport vans. I loved it though, so it was the icing on the cake to spend the last two days on the High Dependency Unit.
Now, on reflection, this wasn't much else than a normal PTS van with some O2 lines and a stretcher lift, but to me this was high tech kit! The guy who operated it was called Rob, along with his partner made me feel very much at home. He really helped me focus the whole ambulance ambition thing, as he wanted it too. At the time he was merely a humble Ambulance Care Assistant, with a bit of extra training so he could give O2 etc, however he had grand ambitions to start the tech course and move over to A&E. So I left that week with a concrete idea of my direction in life and I thought that was it


So, guess who wonders into work today? The crew did their usual trick of pulling up outside ( see here), and in wonders a double-tech crew I haven't seen before.
  • First thought: word must be spreading of our glorious discounts.
  • Second: that guy looks familiar. A few moments pondering later, I realise that he might be the aforementioned Rob.

Cautiously, I ask him "Did you use to work the HDU round here?"
He replied "Yes, why?"

"I did my work experience with you.."

"I knew I recognised you! Carmelo, isn't it? How are you?
"Fine, fine yourself?"
"Good, what are you doing working in here?! I thought you were joining the ambulance service?"
"I am, I'm starting Uni in September to study Paramedic Science"

Que a conversation with Rob and his crewmate about the benefits and negatives of in-house training vs university led. It was great!
He remembered me!!
I could see his chest puff out a tad with pride, he had inspired someone. I was also pleased he had done the tech course and got what he wanted.
The crew left with a chorus of "Good luck", so of course sod's law dictates that my voice breaks when I say "Goodbye". Instead of my usual manly baritone, out pops a squeaky adolescent "GoOdBYe!". Idiot.

Wow. Talk about a spur. Lately the whole letter business has been getting me down, but sure enough, everytime I lose a bit of faith, something or other prods me back on the straight and narrow. I know it was only something small, but it helped put a bit of perspective on my short life. I was only 15 when I first met this guy, and even before that I wanted to join the ambulance service, and yet I still have a huge drive behind me, 3 years later. However, now its even bigger than before, the goal is in sight and I can almost taste it.

No, I haven't been licking ambulances.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:09 pm, Blogger Merys said…

    Stick with it hon, you'll get there in the end

     
  • At 10:26 pm, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    Bless ya, it's good to have ambition, and it must have been good to see a familiar face about. I hope you do hear from that university soon, it's nerve wracking isnt it? Which Uni is it by the way, I have an inkling I think, does it begin with a H? Thanks for the comment on my blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger