Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Desidero Che Potrei Parlare Italiano

As the name might suggest, I am Italian, to a point. My mother hails from
Sicily, more specifically the capital, Palermo. She trained as a nurse over there, but got sick of the hot temperatures, so decided to up and leave with her sister to England. Here she met my Cornish father, and whom I am the product from.
However, my mother decided it would be best not to bring my brother and I up bi-lingual, as she felt that it would isolate my father while we nattered away in Italian.

Why?!

I sorely wish I could speak it, and have wanted to ever since I was little. My mother and aunt always speak to each other in Italian, I have always wanted to understand what they were saying, but alas I cannot. Since turning 18, I have also discovered that I have dual-citizenship, and as such have been receiving Ballot papers for about 8 months now in a language I cannot understand.
It deeply saddens me, so I intend to make a bold effort to learn the language while at University. I feel I owe it to my Italian roots, Carmelo is my middle name, Carmelo Alongi was my Grandfather, I owe him the effort. He died when I was very young, as did my Italian Grandmother, and I have little in the way of Italian family. I very much feel like if I don't act now, my heritage will slip through my fingers, along with a piece of me. This Blog in a way is a tribute to him. In real life I carry the name of my English Grandfather as a forename, so always carry him with me, I think its time I did the same for Carmelo.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I chanced upon your blog while browsing. Your thoughts are an interesting combination of insightful, and fun. And your "the missus" is a good choice! good luck on your college ventures!

     
  • At 12:31 am, Blogger Carmelo said…

    Thank you

     
  • At 10:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi you either say
    "vorrey parlare italiano"
    or
    "desidero parlare italiano"
    or
    "mi piacerebbe parlare italiano"

    who gave you that information to publish?
    sack them!

     
  • At 7:57 am, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    I can understand that, my grandad was from Poland and I always wished I could speak Polish whenever I heard him nattering away to his sister. Good luck with learning, start straight away I reckon as Uni has a tendancy to take over most of your time. I'd recommend getting some language books, or a cd rom to help with the initial dive into the language. Good luck.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger