Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm so Young (and Naive)


First off:



Nothing like an embarrassing photo from the past to start things off, (I'm Batman, my brother is Robin).
Now, on to the real content. Today at work (yes I know its getting old, but I do actually meet quite a lot of interesting people where I work), it was very boring. As such, we were talking about all sorts. Of course the first thing we talked about was what we had done the previous night, I explained that I went to the Pub with the Missus and some friends, and had discovered this:


(Non-alcoholic because I was driving)

My colleague explained she had gone out with friends, had a few drinks and popped a couple of "E"s(Sorry about the link, my drug lingo isn't exactly up to scratch). I carried on the conversation until I realised what she had just said. The normality of how she just slipped it into docile conversation without hesitation astounded me. I'm not often left speechless. However, I continued the conversation, asking her what its like to do the drug, why she does etc. When I asked her where she got it from:

Girl: "Oh, just Mum"

Carmelo: "Are you serious?!"

Girl: " Well not really my Mum, she isn't a drug dealer. My uncle is."

Astounded has already been used in this post, but nout else says how I felt. I told her what I knew about the risks; spiked pills, Overdoses, kidney damage, brain damage etc. She shrugged it off, "If I die tomorrow I want to be able to say I've tried everything." to which my response was " What if you don't die until you're 80, and wreck your body by the time your 30?"

I felt so naive, she was the same age as me. Yet I haven't even taken a pull from a cigarette.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:32 pm, Blogger Lola Cherry Cola said…

    Don't feel naive, she's the naive one for feeling that she has to try absolutely everything no matter how bad it will be in the long term. For example, I don't want to ever bungee jump, it's not one of my goals in life, I'm not particularly scared, it's just never really been something I've wanted to do. Am I naive for having never bungee jumped? Would my life be made anymore complete by that experience? Probably not. Would your life be made more complete by having a drag on a cigarette? Probably not, you're not naive. In fact you're a hell of a lot more mature than most people. Smile smugly with the knowledge of that.

     
  • At 10:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have never smoked either! I dont really want to. The people who say "Lets try everything once" - no matter what it is are arseholes

    You are not naive, just some people are more sensible than others, and you know the risks, and respect your body. I am one of these people aswell

    so.. she's the idiot, not you

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger