Carmelo Alongi

Carmelo Alongi is a student who has just started his training at University with the London Ambulance Service to become an EMT and eventually a Paramedic. Hopefully this blog will allow an interesting insight for everyone into the process of training tomorrow's Paramedics, and a chronicle of my life as I progress. I blog under this name as a tribute to my Italian Grandfather, Carmelo Alongi.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Damn Ambulances!

Picture this: The Missus and I, in a large supermarket, and outside what do I spy?
Its only an Ambulance!
So what must I do?
Even though I know the local trucks like the back of my hand, I insist of staring at it like it comes from outer space.

O dear.... I have deep, deep problems regarding staring at the damn things. Wish I could tell you why, I suppose part of it is wishing I was driving it, going out there and helping people, also (really, truly geeky part), I appreciate the design. The beauty, if you can call it that, comes straight from function, which then leads into beauty.
However, what this translates from in Carmelo's world into the real one is a freakish fascination with looking at ambulances both in real life and on the internet, and a damn annoyance to the Missus. Can't blame her for being annoyed though, who wants an ambulance chaser for a boyfriend?!
She does though, and always smiles when my entire face lights up at the slightest sight of an Ambulance.. I love her.
I don't know if you could call it a fetish as such, but if it is any compensation my Dad has the same thing, but for Steam Locomotives. There you go, I can blame it on inheritance. Hooray!

Doesn't help that the local crews always come into work for food (we give them a generous discount), parking straight out the front of the shop. Of course I talk to the guys, nice people, but more often than not I find myself staring at the damn vehicle parked out front.

A colleague put it very well when he caught me staring today: "That's your dream car init?" to which I replied "Yup.".

4 Comments:

  • At 2:50 am, Blogger Merys said…

    Out of curiosity (as I also hold a paramedic offer) which uni are you bound for (drop me an email if you don't wanna publish it here! bloodystudents@hotmail.co.uk

     
  • At 11:19 pm, Blogger LizzyFerret said…

    Aww well mate, its good to know you aint alone, innit?! :)

    I cant resist taking a snap of an ambo when I pass it - its totally OCD, I have to take a pic, and if it comes out good then it goes on Flickr!

    My Mam is a bit like your missus, in that she just laughs when she sees that beam - and lets me get on with it.

    Only pity is though, that your on your way to getting there - Im stuck in Bed Pan Alley for the mo!

     
  • At 1:20 pm, Blogger Dory said…

    Phew.. I thought I was the only one who did that!! Ambophilitis :)

     
  • At 2:27 pm, Blogger Defibrilator said…

    Cool - I thought I was a sad case who can't help but stare at Ambulances. Even when I'm the one in the Ambulance I can't but help think how cool it is. I was at a museum a while ago and there was a fair dinkum stretcher used by the ambulance service way back when. It was horse drawn if you can imagine it. The museum is over 200km away but I'm trying to make excuses to go back there just to take a picture of it. Unfortunately my missus is on to me. Sigh. I'll just have to make do with the Ford F-250 and F-350 and Mercedes Sprinters that race around town :-) Life is real tough at the top :-P

    Defib

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Powered by Blogger